www.capetown.at Roddy Bray's Guide to Cape Town  
Click for Home Page
Home
Click for Cape Town City Guide
City

Click for Heritage
Heritage
SA Flag - Click for MP3 downloads
Audio Guides
Click for Directory of Cape Town Weblinks
Directory
Penguin at Boulders - click for Photos
Photos
Click for Storyletters
Story-Letters
 

European Settlement
(page 2)
A Town Develops
The VOC had issued firm instructions that no town should be built. Van Riebeeck, however, could not resist the insistence of Mrs Boom, the gardener's wife, who wished to open a boarding house near the garden. She deserves the title 'the mother of Cape Town'. By 1657 there were four taverns, providing respite to sailors for the first time.

Some free burghers, meanwhile - struggling to establish farms - gave up agriculture and turned their hand to crafts and professions. They too persuaded van Riebeeck to permit workshops and buildings near the port. Very soon there were four streets of buildings, which sailors referred to as 'Cape Town'.

The VOC was alarmed, and sent a message repeating that there was to be no town, only a fortified trading post. Van Riebeeck assured them it was 'more the name than the reality'.

When van Riebeeck left on board the Mars in 1662, to take up command at the VOC post in Malacca, the Cape Peninsula had been transformed forever. There were 200 Europeans, slaves from Asia and Africa, warfare, farms along the Peninsula, a fort, jetty and the first streets of 'Cape Town'.

A hierarchical, diverse, multi-ethnic and stratified society had been established. He had been sent to create a trading post, but had directed the first chapter of colonisation by violent conquest, both of the land and its people.

The power of the local Khoe had been broken, but there was soon a more powerful threat to the colony. War was looming between Britain and Holland. Van Riebeeck's fort almost collapsed after heavy rain in 1663. The VOC directors (Heren XVII) ordered a castle built of stone.

In 1665 slaves were put to work at a site on the shoreline, where the canons were in range of the anchorage. The large pentagonal fort, with a bastion at each angle, became the centre of VOC government in the Cape. It contained the residence of the governor and other officials, offices, the bakery, garrison and dungeons. It was finally completed in 1679. The fort is still in use as a barracks and open to the public.
Go to the next page >>>>>>


© www.capetown.at 2008. You may print this article for personal use; if for reproduction please acknowledge 'www.www.capetown.at.co.za'. You may not use this material for any electronic media except with written permission. www.capetown.at accepts no responsibility for inaccuracies or the work of service providers.



Google





Heritage Sections
· Culture ·
· Environment ·
History · Society
Personalities · Areas

In this period of Cape History:

Overview

The First Years

A Town Develops

Simon v.d. Stel

VOC Control

Frontier Expansion

Cape Town in the 1700s

Cosmopolitan Cape Town

The Boom of the 1780s

The VOC Legacy

Bibliography & Contacts












 


 
Return to top